Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is quick and easy to make from ingredients found in most grocery stores. Updated to taste better by adding chicken broth. If you use chicken bouillon cubes, omit salt.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 6 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups pepperoni, sliced (6oz)
- 1 (1/2 ounce) packet Sazon Goya seasoning (or use 1 tablespoon seasoned salt)
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium low heat; add onions and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add water, chicken broth, potatoes and pepperoni.
- Simmer about 20 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Remove pepperoni and set aside.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender or in a blender by batches.
- Add Sazon packet, cabbage and spinach, return pepperoni; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes.
- Taste and add salt, if needed.
- Serve hot.
It is cold here in Florida tonight, and I decided to make some soup! I love potatoes, I love onions, I love pepperoni, I love sazon, I love cabbage, and I love spinach! I was truly expecting to love this, but there is just something not quite right with the soup. I would definitely add some salt (if using sazon and not seasoning salt), and I would chop up the pepperoni before adding it back to the soup in step 4. I did halve the recipe, so maybe that had something to do with it. We enjoyed having this tonight, but it is not something I would make again. I made this for Newest Tag Game!