This is quick and easy to make from ingredients found in most grocery stores. Updated to taste better by adding chicken broth. If you use chicken bouillon cubes, omit salt.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium low heat; add onions and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add water, chicken broth, potatoes and pepperoni.
- Simmer about 20 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Remove pepperoni and set aside.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender or in a blender by batches.
- Add Sazon packet, cabbage and spinach, return pepperoni; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes.
- Taste and add salt, if needed.
- Serve hot.
It is cold here in Florida tonight, and I decided to make some soup! I love potatoes, I love onions, I love pepperoni, I love sazon, I love cabbage, and I love spinach! I was truly expecting to love this, but there is just something not quite right with the soup. I would definitely add some salt (if using sazon and not seasoning salt), and I would chop up the pepperoni before adding it back to the soup in step 4. I did halve the recipe, so maybe that had something to do with it. We enjoyed having this tonight, but it is not something I would make again. I made this for Newest Tag Game!