Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
Serve over toasted garlic bread slices with a tossed green salad with your favorite dressing! Also good over grits! From Southern Living, June 2007
- 2 lbs large shrimp, raw and unpeeled (See Note Below)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 sweet onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped (or 1 tsp. dried basil)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped (or 1 tsp. dried oregano)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- Peel shrimp, and, if desired, devein.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and next 5 ingredients, and sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in garlic, and sauté 1 more minute.
- Stir in shrimp, and cook, stirring occasionally, 6 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- 2 lb. frozen peeled, large raw shrimp, thawed according to package directions, may be substituted.
This recipe was delicious and easy to make! I was making this for my boyfriend and at first he thought shrimp and grits were an odd combo until he had some. That made a believer out of him! My favorite part of this meal was when the delicious herbs mixed in with the creamy grits! yum!
Divine! My family loved this. Quick to prepare even using frozen shrimp as I did. Defrosts easily under lukewarm water. Will make again. Great entrée to go along with my red beans and rice.
Yummy! My changes were olive oil instead of butter, less basil but bam-kicked up the other spices. Used red pepper flakes instead of ground red and i added some ketchup into the pan about 1/4 cup or more with just a little water to make more of a sauce. Think this was a nice addition. Will make many more times. Served with small salad and mashed potatoes. Mmmmmmm!! Thanks!!!