Spicy Cajun Shrimp and Sausages
photo by LDS Chef Ashlie
- Ready In:
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning (or to taste see my comment in description) or 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning (or to taste see my comment in description)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 12 ounces andouille sausages, cut crosswise into diagonal 3/4-inch pieces (or your favorite smoked sausage)
- 1 onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, cut into 1/2 inch wide strips (or use a red bell pepper for a prettier dish)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard (the original recipe suggested 5 tablespoons Creole mustard)
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Toss shrimp with the Cajun seasoning in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a skillet over high heat heat 1 tablespoon oil and then add the sausage pieces, cooking until browned turning occasionally (5 minutes).
- Transfer sausage to a large bowl.
- Add shrimp to skillet, cooking for 3-5 minutes and then transfer shrimp to bowl with sausage.
- Add remaining oil (1 tablespoon) to skillet along with the onion, bell pepper and thyme, cook stirring until soft (5 minutes).
- Stir in broth, mustard and vinegar, stirring until sauce thickens (2 minutes).
- Return sausage and shrimp to skillet and simmer until heated through (1 minute).
- Season with salt and pepper if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was really good! I did do things a tiny bit different though. I kind of made it as a jambalaya. In a medium bowl I threw in my sausage, spices (including cajun seasoning, I didn't mix it in with the shrimp just threw it in the bowl), onions and bell pepper and I didn't do chicken broth. I added one large fresh chopped tomatoe, 1 tsp. garlic powder, salt, 1/3 cup water and a dash oregano. Mixed it all up and set aside. In a pan I seared a couple chicken breast, seasoned with salt and pepper, took out and put in the sausage mixture and heated up then poured into a casserole dish, put in the chicken as well and baked in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes. 15 minutes before done I threw in the shrimp and let cook for remainder of time. SO GOOD!! I loved the flavor the mustard and vinegar gave it! So yummy!!
This dish went too fast to even snap a single photo - smelled so good while it was simmering away and tasted just as good too. I used Hot Italian Sausage cuz it was all I could find here - worked very well. Also, used Balsamic vinegar instead of red wine vinegar just because we prefer it. Also served it over rice. Nice dish! I might try a bit of chopped garlic next time just for fun.
Love it! Love it! Love it! The spices were just right (I used the 1 Tablespoon of Tony Chachere's)and beef kielbasa since that was all I had in my freezer. Delicious and easy to throw together. I would not change a thing. This one is going to make repeat appearances at our table. Thanks for posting!!
see 2 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I love cooking and trying different foods, but my favorite cookbooks are now Weight Watchers or low fat/low cal cookbooks as I tend to try and make low fat/low cal recipes. I lost over 90 pounds on Weight Watchers and have maintained for over a year now -- so my cooking/eating habits have changed drastically following my weight loss and to keep it off!</p>