1/4 Photos of Caesar Salad (The Original)
This is from Margaret Fultons revised 1968 cookbook (a Christmas present from the DD - my original is rather dog eared and stained) in which she states "This is the authentic recipe made for me by the Cardini family in Mexico, the creataors of the caesar salad. Particular care was taken to lay the tender, elongated cos leaves all in the one direction." Times are estimated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cos lettuce
- 1 small baguette (to make croutons)
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 1 garlic clove (minced or put through a garlic press to crush)
- 15 g butter
- 1Remove tough outer leaves of the lettuce.
- 2Wash the tender leaves, sprin dry (or dry in a large clean tea towel) and place in a plastic bag and put in the refrigerator to crisp.
- 3To make croutons -.
- 4Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 5Cut baguette into thick slices.
- 6Mash the anchovy fillets and garlic with the butter and spread over the bread slices.
- 7Place on a baking tray and bake until pale and gold and crisp.
- 8For the Dressing -.
- 9With the exception of the egg mix/whisk or put in a jar, seal and shake, all the ingredients together to make the dressing.
- 10Coddled egg -.
- 11Lower the egg into a small saucepan of simmering water and simmer for 1 minute, lift out with a slotted spoon.
- 12Arrange the crisp lettuce leaves in a bowl.
- 13Add the croutons and break in the coddled egg and add the dressing and turn the salad gently, until the dressing coats the lettuce leaves evenly.
- 14Serve as soon as possible after dressing (better immediately) - keeps o'kay but not the best. (haven't done myself but from family members that have).
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Caesar Salad (The Original)
Serving Size: 1 (223 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 290.2
- Calories from Fat 223
- Total Fat 24.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 61.4 mg
- Sodium 300.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 7.6 g