1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Pokey in San Antonio, TX's Note:
This is the Caribbean meets south Texas. One of our favorite dishes is barbacoa (shredded beef) served on corn tortillas with salsa. We eat it for breakfast (really, it's true). Well here is our Tex-Mex Sunday morning special--Jamaica style.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs goat meat, shoulder
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 whole jalapenos (sliced)
- 1/2 cup onion (diced)
- 1 lb mango
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons scotch bonnet peppers (minced)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water (warm)
- 1Trim excess fat off goat roast. Place in pressure cooker with water, garlic, jalapenos, and onions.
- 2Pressure cook for 1 1/2 hours till fork tender. Remove from cooker, remove excess fat, and shred with fork. Keep warm.
- 3Peel and chop mango.
- 4Combine mango with onion, cilantro, scotch bonnet, vinegar, and sugar. Leave at room temperature till ready to serve.
- 5For the tortillas: Combine flour, salt, and oil. Mix till crumbly.
- 6Add warm water until you can gather dough into a ball.
- 7Transfer to a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes).
- 8Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- 9Divide dough into 12 equal parts.
- 10Roll each portion into a ball and roll out on a floured surface until it forms an 8 inch circle.
- 11Place flour tortillas on a hot griddle and cook for 30-40 seconds on each side. Tortillas should puff slightly.
- 12To serve: place some shredded goat on the center of a tortilla, sprinkle with salt, spoon on a little salsa, fold and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Tropical Fruits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tropical Fruits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cabrito Barbacoa With Mango Salsa (Tex-Mex)
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 567.6
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 86.1 mg
- Sodium 517.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 13.4 g
- Protein 38.4 g