Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I'm trying to get the calories down and the nutrition up. This is inspired by spinach pie and replaces phyllo dough with super healthy cabbage.
- 1 head green cabbage
- 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach
- 1 (6 ounce) package fat free feta cheese
- 1⁄2 medium onion
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill
- 1⁄2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- Cut the stem as close to the cabbage as possible and then score an X on the flat area to help let the cabbage steam. Steam the cabbage in a covered pan until a fork slips easily into the cabbage (20-40 minutes).
- Meanwhile thaw spinach and squeeze out all the water.
- Mix the spinach, feta cheese, onion, egg white, dill, red pepper flakes, and red pepper and set aside.
- When the cabbage is nice and soft carefully peel away each leaf, spoon some mixture onto the leaf and roll up.
- Pour the olive oil in a pan with a lid.
- Lay the rolls in the pan so that the end of the leaf is face down in the pan. That way gravity holds the roll together.
- Pour in the 2 cans of vegetable broth, cover, and simmer on medium for about 20 - 30 minutes.
- If you have any cabbage leftover cut it up and throw that in to cook also.