Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a good and hardy meal. I have big pieces of crusty butter bread with mine.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef or 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 head cabbage
- 6 carrots, sliced round
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 (29 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (I use 1/2 that)
- Cook beef or ground meat till done; drain fat off and set aside.
- In a large stewing pot (6 quart or larger) put the water, cabbage and carrots.
- Cook about 20 minutes.
- Then add beef, onions and potatoes.
- Cook till almost done.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook till done, about 15 more minutes.
Picture this, the temperature is dropping rapidly (30 degree drop during the day) and the wind is howling. Your central heat unit goes out and it is 60 degrees in the house. Along comes this recipe. I added about 1 tsp. of ground chipolte pepper powder. The repairman came and we all ate this wonderful warming soup!
This was a nice soup..although I was a little confused with the ingredients..in the directions it mentions to add the water, although no amount is given in the ingredients (I used enough to cover the carrots and cabbage) and then in the ingredients it mentions two 1/4 cup amounts of sugar (I only used 2 Tablespoons in total) I also added 2 tsps minced garlic and added salt and pepper. I used 1 and a half litres of tomato juice. Served with some crusty buttered bread rolls.