Recipe by Barb in WNY
A pudding cake is one of my favorite desserts. This one is easy to make.
Top Review by mayers03
Tried to make this cake today and followed recipe exactly as listed. The butterscotch pudding/water mixture poured over the batter never hardened. I even gave it an extra 5 minutes cooking time in an effort to firm it up, but with no luck. Is there any chance it should have been water in the batter and milk mixed with the pudding mix? Just wanted to give others a heads up with my experience. I can say though that it smelled delicious, and had the topping sunk down into the cake as expected, it probably would have tasted great.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package butterscotch pudding mix (not instant)
- 2 cups very hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt; mix well.
- Add milk, margarine, and vanilla; stir to blend. Pour into ungreased 9- inch square pan.
- In small bowl, combine pudding mix and hot water; blend well. Pour slowly over batter in pan. Do Not Mix.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 to 35 minutes, or until center is firm to the touch and toothpick inserted in top half of cake comes out clean.(The top surface of the cake will appear cracked.).
- Cool in pan 5 to 10 minutes.
- To serve: spoon warm cake, pudding side up into dessert dishes. If desired top with whipped topping.