1/1 Photo of Butternut Squash, Sage and Hazelnut Risotto
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is a favorite of mine taken from the Williams-Sonoma website. Toasted blanched almonds may be used instead of the hazelnuts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 1/2 cups chicken stock or 5 1/2 cups vegetable stock or 5 1/2 cups canned broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 5 teaspoons chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice or 1 1/2 cups medium grain rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons hazelnuts, peeled, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- salt, to taste
- 1In a small saucepan over high heat, bring the stock to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and keep the liquid hot.
- 2In a medium, heavy saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and sauté the onion, stirring frequently, until it is soft and light brown, about 10 minutes. Add the squash and 4 teaspoons of the fresh sage or all the dried sage and sauté, stirring frequently for 2 minutes. Cover and cook until the squash is almost tender, about 6 minutes.
- 3Uncover the pan with the squash, add the rice and stir until a white spot appears in the center of the grains, about 1 minute. Add the wine and stir until absorbed, about 2 minutes. Add 3/4 cup of the broth, adjust the heat to simmer, if needed, so that the liquid bubbles and is absorbed slowly. Stir until the liquid is absorbed. Continue cooking, adding the liquid 3/4 cup at a time and stirring almost constantly, until the rice starts to soften, about 10 minutes. Continue cooking, adding the liquid 1/2 cup at a time and stirring almost constantly, until the rice is just tender but slightly firm in the center and the mixture is creamy, about 10 minutes more.
- 4Add the Parmesan cheese, 3 Tbs. of the nuts, the pepper and salt. Stir to mix well.
- 5To serve, spoon the risotto into a serving bowl or onto plates. Garnish with the remaining 1 Tbs. fresh sage, if using, and the remaining 1 Tbs. nuts.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Butternut Squash, Sage and Hazelnut Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (520 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 465.1
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 21.6 mg
- Sodium 410.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 14.1 g