From Taste of Home. This is a great side dish with fall appeal. It's creamy, comforting and looks pretty, too, thanks to the rich yellow butternut squash and golden crumb topping.
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 2 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup crushed saltine (about 8)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- Place squash in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until very tender.
- Drain well and place in a large bowl; mash squash.
- In another bowl,combine the mayonnaise, onion, egg, sugar, salt and pepper; add to the squash and mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Combine the cracker crumbs, cheese and butter; sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until heated through and top is golden brown.
- Yield: 6 servings.