Butternut Squash Bake
photo by May I Have That Rec
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1/3 cup margarine, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1⁄2 cup Rice Krispies
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (optional)
- Bake the squash until a fork can easily be inserted.
- Scoop out squash flesh and discard seeds.
- Mash squash flesh and measure out 2 cups.
- The squash flesh will be rather runny.
- In another bowl cream butter and sugar and add the 2 eggs, 5 oz evaporated milk, and vanilla.
- Add the 2 cups of squash.
- Pour into a 11 x 7 inch baking pan.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes at 350.
- Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle on and bake another 5 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Absolutely SCRUMPTIOUS!!! Even my husband, son, and father who "don't eat squash" tried it and liked it. I used egg-beaters and fat-free evaporated milk. I didn't have Rice Krispies, so went hunting through my cabinet to find something suitable and came up with (are you ready for this?) Cinnamon Toast Crunch! Delicious. I could eat this for dessert. I'll be using this recipe yhe next time I'm asked to bring a vege dish to a pot-luck.
Okay - here's the honest truth. I have NEVER made squash for my family - it just seemed too....well.....too boring! My kids are picky when it comes to veggies (they are 5 yrs, 3 yrs old, and 7 mo's old). I was getting tired of the same old veggies all the time, so decided to try - squash! After browsing the recipes, I decided to try this one...WOW - We were NOT disappointed! My 3 yr old ate ALL his veggies, my 5 yr old ate most, and the 7 mo. old kept begging for more (naturally, we were not giving her the topping part, as it has nuts.) I myself LOVED it - and my DH's comment was, "I don't think I've EVER eaten squash in my life. THIS recipe's a KEEPER!" (after his 2nd helping of it!) THANKS FOR SHARING!
see 45 more reviews
This was the absolute best! I made this for dinner on Halloween night and it was sooo good. I am always trying to make things more healthy, so I did make some modifications. I used light margarine and less of it, used much less sugar (only about 1/3 cup total including part Splenda), used 2 egg whites in place of 1 egg and evaporated skim milk. Even with these changes, I thought it was perfect. Thanks for posting this great recipe. I will make this often.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a stay at home mom, with 4 teenage boys and a five year old daughter. Feeding the boys and their dad can be a real challenge. I need to stay on budget, and still provide mass amounts of vidals.