Recipe by Cindy Lynn
Rich, tender, fudgy brownie that those chocolate lovers just can't resist. For a "mocha" experience, substitute coffee for the water. My family just can't help themselves, even when they're already "stuffed" when these are around.
Top Review by Lisa Pizza
Oh my gosh!! These are so decadent! It's my first attempt at brownies from scratch, so I was a bit intimidated by all the steps - but it really was a snap, once I got all the ingredients lined up. The brownies are more cakey than fudgey, which I love, and the frosting is nice and fudgey - as it should be! :) Thanks, Cindy Lynn
- 236.59 ml butter or 236.59 ml margarine
- 78.07 ml hershey cocoa powder (regular-type, dry)
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml water or 236.59 ml coffee
- 473.18 ml unsifted all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2 slightly beaten eggs
- 118.29 ml buttermilk
- 7.39 ml vanilla
- 59.14 ml butter
- 44.37 ml hershey cocoa powder (regular type, dry)
- 44.37 ml buttermilk
- 532.32 ml powdered sugar (confectioners')
- 2.46-4.92 ml vanilla (your preference)
- 118.29 ml english walnuts or 118.29 ml butter nuts or 118.29 ml pecans or 118.29 ml black walnuts or 118.29 ml similar type nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Brownies: In saucepan combine butter, cocoa, 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water (first four ingredients).
- Bring to boil; stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, blend together flour, soda and salt.
- In small bowl combine buttermilk, eggs and vanilla; whisk lightly with a fork.
- Pour buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients; mix until smooth.
- Add cocoa mixture gradually with mixer on low setting.
- Mix until well blended (flour and buttermilk mixture will be thick and likely need to be scraped from sides of bowl to blend thoroughly).
- Pour into greased 10 1/2 x 14 3/4 x 2 1/4 baking dish.
- Bake at 375 deg F for 25 minutes; test with toothpick.
- Immediately pour Frosting over brownies; spread evenly.
- (Brownies will be very tender so spread gently.) Cool; cut into bars and serve.
- Frosting: In saucepan, mix 1/4 cup butter, 3 tablespoons cocoa and 3 tablespoons buttermilk.
- Cook and stir till boiling (mixture will be slightly curdled); remove from heat.
- Beat in 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- Fold in English walnuts.