Rich, tender, fudgy brownie that those chocolate lovers just can't resist. For a "mocha" experience, substitute coffee for the water. My family just can't help themselves, even when they're already "stuffed" when these are around.
- 236.59 ml butter or 236.59 ml margarine
- 78.07 ml hershey cocoa powder (regular-type, dry)
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml water or 236.59 ml coffee
- 473.18 ml unsifted all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2 slightly beaten eggs
- 118.29 ml buttermilk
- 7.39 ml vanilla
- 59.14 ml butter
- 44.37 ml hershey cocoa powder (regular type, dry)
- 44.37 ml buttermilk
- 532.32 ml powdered sugar (confectioners')
- 2.46-4.92 ml vanilla (your preference)
- 118.29 ml english walnuts or 118.29 ml butter nuts or 118.29 ml pecans or 118.29 ml black walnuts or 118.29 ml similar type nuts
- Brownies: In saucepan combine butter, cocoa, 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water (first four ingredients).
- Bring to boil; stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, blend together flour, soda and salt.
- In small bowl combine buttermilk, eggs and vanilla; whisk lightly with a fork.
- Pour buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients; mix until smooth.
- Add cocoa mixture gradually with mixer on low setting.
- Mix until well blended (flour and buttermilk mixture will be thick and likely need to be scraped from sides of bowl to blend thoroughly).
- Pour into greased 10 1/2 x 14 3/4 x 2 1/4 baking dish.
- Bake at 375 deg F for 25 minutes; test with toothpick.
- Immediately pour Frosting over brownies; spread evenly.
- (Brownies will be very tender so spread gently.) Cool; cut into bars and serve.
- Frosting: In saucepan, mix 1/4 cup butter, 3 tablespoons cocoa and 3 tablespoons buttermilk.
- Cook and stir till boiling (mixture will be slightly curdled); remove from heat.
- Beat in 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- Fold in English walnuts.