Goes great with sausage gravy or just warm spread with marmalade or preserves. Fill some with sausage patties and freeze to have ready for a quick breakfast from the microwave!
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F,.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Mix in shortening with pastry blender, fork, or fingertips until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Form a well in center of flour and pour buttermilk in.
- Mix flour into this, stirring and working until flour leaves sides of bowl and forms a ball.
- When it comes away from sides without sticking too bad, it's ready.
- Otherwise, work in a little more flour.
- Place dough on floured surface and knead 5-6 times.
- Do not knead too much or dough will become tough.
- Roll or pat out to about 1/2" thickness and cut with biscuit cutter or floured glass.
- Place biscuits on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 450 degrees F.
- for 8-12 minutes or until light golden.
- Brush tops with melted butter, if desired.
- Serve warm with sausage gravy or butter and preserves, if desired.