Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
Goes great with sausage gravy or just warm spread with marmalade or preserves. Fill some with sausage patties and freeze to have ready for a quick breakfast from the microwave!
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F,.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Mix in shortening with pastry blender, fork, or fingertips until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Form a well in center of flour and pour buttermilk in.
- Mix flour into this, stirring and working until flour leaves sides of bowl and forms a ball.
- When it comes away from sides without sticking too bad, it's ready.
- Otherwise, work in a little more flour.
- Place dough on floured surface and knead 5-6 times.
- Do not knead too much or dough will become tough.
- Roll or pat out to about 1/2" thickness and cut with biscuit cutter or floured glass.
- Place biscuits on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 450 degrees F.
- for 8-12 minutes or until light golden.
- Brush tops with melted butter, if desired.
- Serve warm with sausage gravy or butter and preserves, if desired.
Had to use up some buttermilk so decided on these biscuits, soo happy I did, they were wonderful fluffy light as a feather biscuits!! Didn't have to add more flour, 1 cup buttermilk was exactly right. I only got 10 biscuits because I wanted big ones and used a very large floured glass. They were perfect under a stew and just buttered!! Thanks for sharing Sue.
This is an easy favorite!! I doubled the recipe to feed my family of 6 and it still turned out perfectly!!! We served under our favorite homemade pepper milk gravy and it was all soooooo good!!! Thanks for sharing!
This was excellent. Easy to make and no additional flour was needed as suggested. The flavor was great and they were real light and flaky as biscuits should be. Great with biscuits and gravy.