Recipe by Bev
These are best served the moment they come out of the fryer. From Southern Living.
Top Review by Marla Swoffer
Just like in the restaurant--no wait, better because they're so fresh! I used two smallish onions and had about half the batter leftover. I served this Dancer's Buttermilk Garlic Dressing (as a dip) and with Big John's Buttermilk Meatballs. Thanks for posting this, Bev!
- 2 large onions
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- peanut oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut onions into 1/2-inch slices, and separate into rings.
- Set aside.
- Whisk together flour and next 4 ingredients until smooth.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 375°.
- Dip onion rings in batter, coating well.
- Fry, a few rings at a time, until golden.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately.