Recipe by HEP MEP
This is out of an old BH&G cookbook - 1978.Makes a nice side dish and it's easy to prepare.
Top Review by Judy-Jude
We love Near East Rice Pilaf and can't make it anymore because of the sodium, I am so glad that I tried your recipe today, it was a much needed treat! I wish I could give you twenty stars! This is a wonderful recipe and easy to follow instructions. I used 3/4 cup of rice 1/4 cup of orzo. My husband is on a strict low sodium diet, therefore, used garlic powder and onion powder, with a pinch of tumeric. Thank God for the low sodium chicken granules they have now, they added so much flavor. Sliced fresh mushrooms and just added them to the browned rice and orzo, with the rest of the ingredients. Garnished with sliced green onion. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe.
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 2⁄3 cups cold water
- 6 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces or 1 (4 ounce) cansauteed fresh mushrooms
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium skillet cook rice in butter about 4 minutes or until golden brown,stirring frequently.
- Add water, boullion,parsley,onion,garlic salt,tarragon, basil and paprika.
- Drain mushrooms; stir into rice mixture.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or till rice is tender.