- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 lb lean stewing beef
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 cup carrot, sliced diagonally
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium jalapeno, chopped small (optional)
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, drained
- 4 medium potatoes, scrubbed and each cut in 6 pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together in a bowl, dry mustard, cornstarch, adobo seasoning, salt and pepper; add stew beef and stir to coat.
- Spray a large non stick frypan generously with veggie spray and heat to medium. Add stew meat mixture and cook, stirring for 3 or 4 minutes; add beef broth and mix well. Add celery, carrots, onion, drained tomatoes and jalapeño if using. Mix well and bring to simmer; cover and let simmer for 1 hour. Add potato pieces and continue simmering covered for 30 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- (You can add the potatoes to the stew meat mixture or boil the potatoes separately and serve the stew over them, or boil and mash them, your choice).