Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Delicious brown gravy stew. Use other veggies if preferred.
Make and share this Brown Stew recipe from Food.com.
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 lb lean stewing beef
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 cup carrot, sliced diagonally
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium jalapeno, chopped small (optional)
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, drained
- 4 medium potatoes, scrubbed and each cut in 6 pieces
- Mix together in a bowl, dry mustard, cornstarch, adobo seasoning, salt and pepper; add stew beef and stir to coat.
- Spray a large non stick frypan generously with veggie spray and heat to medium. Add stew meat mixture and cook, stirring for 3 or 4 minutes; add beef broth and mix well. Add celery, carrots, onion, drained tomatoes and jalapeño if using. Mix well and bring to simmer; cover and let simmer for 1 hour. Add potato pieces and continue simmering covered for 30 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- (You can add the potatoes to the stew meat mixture or boil the potatoes separately and serve the stew over them, or boil and mash them, your choice).
this was a sick stew
For those who haven't had the incredibly pleasant experience of trying this dish, you are in for a great treat on the day that you decide to make it. First, it's about as easy to make as peanut butter and celery. Second, it's a hearty one-entree meal that is sure to please everyone except for vegetarians. I'm serving it tonight with white cornbread (menu from the Quaker box) and it's a perfect match. Derf, again, you have outdone yourself. I rate this dish right up there with any other beef dish that I have tried. I will go a bit easier on the salt next time but with all those potatoes, the stew stood up quite well to the amount indicated. I prepared the recipe exactly as list except that I lacked a jalapena, so I used a like amount of green bell pepper. Amazing recipe, Derf. You are truly an amazing Master Chef!