Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
I found this recipe on another site and I believe it was CopyKat, but I'm not 100% sure. So if you were the kind person that posted this recipe please step forward and take the accolades for this wonderful soup. I did tweak it a bit by adding the minced garlic and the chicken broth because I found it to be a bit thick. The original recipe did not call for the salt, red, white & black pepper, but I found it needed the additional seasonings. I could only find chopped frozen broccoli in 10 ounce packages so I used a total of 20 ounces with no problems. This is comfort food at it's finest - warm, cheesy, flavorful and oh so good!
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 (6 ounce) boxes long grain and wild rice blend (with seasoning mix - 6 Ounces each)
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup (10 3/4 Ounces each)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth (14 Ounces each)
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 1 lb American cheese (Velveeta)
- 1 lb broccoli (frozen & chopped)
- black pepper
- white pepper
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- Thaw broccoli at room temperature, but do not cook.
- Drain broccoli in colander and set aside.
- In large pot cook long grain & wild rice according to directions on box and set aside.
- In large dutch oven melt butter and saute' onions until soft, about 30 minutes.
- Add cream of chicken soup, velveeta cheese, heavy whipping cream, minced garlic, seasonings to taste and drained broccoli, stirring well.
- Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted, stirring often to prevent sticking.
- Add cooked long grain & wild rice and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for approximately 20 minutes, stirring often to avoid sticking.
5 words say it all: "Don't bother me, I'm eating!" Easy recipe to make, and a lot of ways to tweak the taste. I used homemade chicken broth instead of canned, which added a great deal of depth to the flavor. Also reheats very well for leftovers the next day. Good stuff!