One of my favourite casseroles! This is a dish that was often cooked in our house growing up. It's delicious on it's own or served over rice or pasta. It's hearty enough to be served as a main course. This recipe fills a 9X13 pan.
- Cook and season chicken with salt and pepper. Boil, bake, steam, or fry. I prefer baking but because of time I often fry with a little olive oil. Chop and set aside.
- Cook broccoli. Steam or boil - no need to season. Leave in spears or large florets.
- Saute onion and garlic just until slightly soft. 3-5 minutes.
- Mix can of cream of chicken soup with water.
- Layer in 13X9 pan. Chopped chicken on the bottom, followed by broccoli, onion/garlic, mushrooms, soup mixture, salt and pepper, and cheddar cheese on top. Additionally you can add toasted breadcrumbs on top of the cheese if you wish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.