Recipe by WillCookForSmiles
One of my favourite casseroles! This is a dish that was often cooked in our house growing up. It's delicious on it's own or served over rice or pasta. It's hearty enough to be served as a main course. This recipe fills a 9X13 pan.
Top Review by peakesum
Anytime my entire family eats a meal without compaining I'm impressed - and this was a big hit with my kids (3, 5 and 8)! I baked the chicken after sprinkling with seasoning salt and olive oil. I also diced then parboiled 4 medium potatoes and added them on top of fresh mushrooms (mmm...cheezy potatoes!). Covered with foil to bake then uncovered, added breadcrumbs and baked for the final 10 minutes. I did have to dump some extra liquid after baking so I will probably eliinate the water next time and I may skip the shrooms since the kids aren't fans.
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms (or 1 can)
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook and season chicken with salt and pepper. Boil, bake, steam, or fry. I prefer baking but because of time I often fry with a little olive oil. Chop and set aside.
- Cook broccoli. Steam or boil - no need to season. Leave in spears or large florets.
- Saute onion and garlic just until slightly soft. 3-5 minutes.
- Mix can of cream of chicken soup with water.
- Layer in 13X9 pan. Chopped chicken on the bottom, followed by broccoli, onion/garlic, mushrooms, soup mixture, salt and pepper, and cheddar cheese on top. Additionally you can add toasted breadcrumbs on top of the cheese if you wish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.