1 hr 15 mins
Gourmet. January 2004.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon anise seed
- 3 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 4 slices peeled fresh ginger (1/2-inch-thick)
- 2 slices fresh orange zest
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup medium-dry sherry
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth (20 fl oz)
- 3 fennel bulbs, stalks cut off and discarded, then bulbs sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Put oven rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 350°F
- 2Wrap cinnamon stick and anise seeds in a small square of cheesecloth and tie bundle closed with string.
- 3Pat pork dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 4Heat oil in a deep 6- to 8-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then brown pork in 3 batches, turning, about 4 minutes per batch. Transfer to a bowl as browned.
- 5Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from pot and cook onion and garlic over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 6Add ginger, zest, and sugar and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in soy sauce, rice wine, broth, pork with any accumulated juices, and cheesecloth bag.
- 7Braise mixture, covered, in oven 1 hour.
- 8Stir in fennel and braise, covered, in oven until fennel is very tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Discard cheesecloth bag, then season pork mixture with salt and pepper and stir in cilantro.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Braised Pork With Orange and Fennel
Serving Size: 1 (525 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 736.8
- Calories from Fat 461
- Total Fat 51.3 g
- Saturated Fat 16.6 g
- Cholesterol 161.1 mg
- Sodium 1686.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 44.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: