Recipe by threeovens
Pork Chops braised with tomatoes, anchovies and rosemary. Don't worry, the anchovies will disintegrate and are only for flavoring the sauce.
Top Review by Chocolatl
Really good meat, with a wonderful, flavorful sauce. You wouldn't know there were anchovies in it if you didn't know there were anchovies in it (if that makes any sense). We served it with rice. Thanks for posting!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork chops (2 bone-in pork loin chops about 1 1/2 inch thick)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt, more for seasoning pork
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, more for seasoning pork
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 large fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs plum tomatoes, roughly chopped (preferably a mix of red and yellow)
- 6 anchovy fillets
- polenta, egg noodles (optional) or rice, for serving (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pat pork chops dry with paper towels and generously season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium high heat; sear chops in 1 tablespoon of oil until well browned, about 3 to 4 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining tablespoon of oil to skillet and cook onion and rosemary, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to caramelize and turn golden, about 5 minutes; add garlic and cook another minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, anchovies, remaining salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes break down, about 8 minutes.
- Return pork chops to skillet and spoon sauce over chops.
- Cover skillet and place in preheated oven and cook until internal meat thermometer reads 145 degrees F, about 15 minutes.
- Serve over polenta, egg noodles, or rice.