Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This dish is a hit with my family and friends. Easy and quick to prepare. Kids love it.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 -3 golden delicious apple, cored,peeled and sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider
- Heat a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat; season chicken breast with salt and pepper; brown chicken on both sides, about 3 minutes per side; remove chicken to plate and keep warm.
- Add apples and shallots to the skillet; cook until apples begin to soften, about 2 minutes; add thyme, salt and a generous grinding of pepper, cook 1 minute; Pour in chicken broth and cider and cook over high heat until the liquid has reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Return chicken breast to the skillet, nestling them in among the apples; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until chicken is no longer pink in the middle, about 8 minutes.
Lovely dish! I used sweet onions and diced my chicken into fairly large pieces. I also left my apples un-peeled, and doubled the sauce to thicken into a gravy, which served nicely over rice.
I made this with pork chops and it was DELISH! The only thing - I cut it in half since I'm only one person and when all was said and done there was no sauce left to speak of. A shame since I'd planned to put it on mashed potatoes.
Delightful recipe - The chicken was moist and loaded with flavor. I took the liberty of adding a few prunes (I love prunes & apples together) and they went well with the chicken Thanks Barb for giving me a very enjoyable dinner.