Warm Skillet Cinnamon Apples
photo by Anonymous
- Ready In:
- Peel/core apples and cut into thick slices.
- Toss together the apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg either in a bowl or put in a zippered plastic bag and shake until coated.
- Cook apple mixture, 2 tbls. of water and 1 tbls. of butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes or until apples are tender - but not mushy.
- Serve just as is or top with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.
This was fantastic. I served it over steel cut oatmeal for breakfast for my children. They devowed it. I will use the leftovers in hand pies. The only ‘tweak’ I will make to the recipe next time is to reduce the sugar a bit. It wasn’t at all too sweet. It was just so good that I feel it will be just as good if I reduced the sugar a bit. I’m going to use this recipe to make a pie filling next time with sliced apples.
These apples were delish and I served them on their own as I did not have vanilla ice cream or whipped topping. I do think that the apples would shine much more with either the ice cream or a whipped cream to balance the flavour of the nutmeg and cinnamon. I am sure that with this balance it would be a 5 star recipe. Super easy to put together.