Recipe by Likkel
The sauce for the meat is richly flavored and the meat very tender. We normally serve it over wide egg noodles, but it is great over rice, too.
Top Review by HoneyDawn
Delicious comfort food. This was a staple in our house when I was growing up, but I had lost my Mother's recipe. Thanks for posting, Likkel!<br/>Note: Don't leave out the celery seed. or sub anything for it ... it is essential to the flavor.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, halved
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour, salt and pepper. Dip beef cubes in flour and brown in oil. Add bouillon cubes, onion, celery seed and water to meat. Cover and cook slowly 1 to 1 1/2 hours (It can be cooked in a crockpot on low for 6 hours).
- Add tomato sauce and brown sugar, continue cooking slowly for 20 minutes (Or in the crockpot add cheese and mushrooms now and cook for an additional hour) or until meat is tender.
- Add cheese and mushrooms and cook 10 minutes more. Serve over noodles or rice.