Simmered Beef Cubes With Veggies and Barley
photo by Lori Mama
- Ready In:
- 5hrs 30mins
- 2 lbs stewed boneless beef cubes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (I used a non-stick pan and omitted the oil)
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 6 large carrots, peeled and cut in slices of 3/4 inch
- 2 celery ribs, cut in slices of 3/4 inch
- 227 g white mushrooms, cut in quarters
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, brown half meat in oil. Add salt and pepper. Repeat with the remaining beef. (I used a non-stick skillet and didn't use oil). Set aside in the crockpot and sprinkle with barley.
- In the same skillet, brown carrots, celery, mushrooms and onion. Add more oil if needed. Add salt and pepper. Add garlic, Dijon mustard and cook about 2 minutes. Deglaze with the wine and add chicken stock. Bring to boil and pour in the crockpot.
- Cook around 5 hours at low heat or 3 hours at high heat until meat is easy to tear with a fork. Sprinkle with parsley. Adjust seasoning.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><strong><span>I'm the host of Bargain Basement tag game in the cooking game forum. You're welcome to play anytime. You'll be surprised to find great recipes that were never reviewed. <br /></span></strong></p> <p>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</p> <p><strong><span>I want to say a big thank you to everyone who tries my recipes and post photos. I don't always have the time to say thanks to each of you but be sure it's so appreciated :)</span></strong></p> <p>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</p> <p> </p> <p><img src=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z205/jubespage/zwt6%20banners%20and%20photos/captain.jpg alt=width=150 height=200 /></p> <p><br /><img src=http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c175/emmyduckie/zwt/ZwizzleBadge.jpg alt=width=200 height=300 /><br /> <br /><a title=banner3 href=http://www.flickr.com/photos/26630178@N05/3510953178></a><img src=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3387/3510953178_b35b3086a8.jpg alt=banner3 width=500 height=250 /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/captain.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> By Brooke The Cook in WI <br /><img src=http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg alt=/ /> <br /><a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?p=3510511#3510511> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /> <br /> <br /></a><a title=Photo href=http://www.flickr.com/photos/boomette1/514183676></a><img src=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/252/514183676_f79b486466_m.jpg alt=good width=240 height=137 /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /></p> <p><img src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/ZTAA-sm.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></p> <p><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/BANNERS/Pets-STKR.jpg alt=width=200 height=200 /></p>