Rum Raisin Pie
photo by Boomette
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup orange juice or 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum (see note)
- 1 cup sultana raisin
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 2 rolled-out shortcrust pastry
- milk, for brushing
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring the orange juice, rum, and raisins to a boil. Simmer gently for about 10 minutes or until the raisins are properly hydrated. Add the brown sugar mixture and bring to a boil while stirring. Simmer for 1 minute and pour into a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the mixture. Let cool.
- With the rack in the lowest position, preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- Line a 23-cm (9-inch) pie plate with one pastry. Spoon the filling in the pie and brush the edges of the dough with milk. Top with the second pastry. Make an incision in the center. Remove any excess dough. Tightly seal the edges by crimping the dough with a fork or your fingers. Brush with milk.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Serve warm or cold.
- Tips: If you prefer this pie without alcohol, replace the rum with water.
- Freezes well when baked.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><strong><span>I'm the host of Bargain Basement tag game in the cooking game forum. You're welcome to play anytime. You'll be surprised to find great recipes that were never reviewed. <br /></span></strong></p> <p>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</p> <p><strong><span>I want to say a big thank you to everyone who tries my recipes and post photos. I don't always have the time to say thanks to each of you but be sure it's so appreciated :)</span></strong></p> <p>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</p> <p> </p> <p><img src=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z205/jubespage/zwt6%20banners%20and%20photos/captain.jpg alt=width=150 height=200 /></p> <p><br /><img src=http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c175/emmyduckie/zwt/ZwizzleBadge.jpg alt=width=200 height=300 /><br /> <br /><a title=banner3 href=http://www.flickr.com/photos/26630178@N05/3510953178></a><img src=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3387/3510953178_b35b3086a8.jpg alt=banner3 width=500 height=250 /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/captain.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> By Brooke The Cook in WI <br /><img src=http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg alt=/ /> <br /><a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?p=3510511#3510511> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /> <br /> <br /></a><a title=Photo href=http://www.flickr.com/photos/boomette1/514183676></a><img src=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/252/514183676_f79b486466_m.jpg alt=good width=240 height=137 /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /></p> <p><img src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/ZTAA-sm.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></p> <p><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/BANNERS/Pets-STKR.jpg alt=width=200 height=200 /></p>