Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
authentic Memphis style sauce
- 4 large yellow onions, minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 (28 ounce) cans Italian-style tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 2 1⁄2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup orange juice
- 8 tablespoons dijon-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup vermont maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- In a very heavy large stockpot, caramelize onions.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer uncovered for at least 3 hours.
- Cool and puree with a stick blender till smooth.
- Makes 1 gallon of sauce.
- Put into 1 quart mason jars this keeps well in the refrigerator, and freezes for up to 6 months.