1 hr 5 mins
Hey Jude's Note:
This soup has been served at the Drake Hotel in Chicago since it opened for business in 1933. The Drake adapted it from the snapper soup from Bookbinders restaurant in Philadelphia, using RED snapper instead of turtle. Recipe is from the Chicago Tribune Good Eating Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 12 white peppercorns or 12 black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1To make soup base, heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add carrots, celery, garlic, onion, red bell pepper, and green bell pepper; cook, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes.
- 2Stir in peppercorns, bay leaf, tomato paste, thyme, rosemary, and cilantro; cook 2 minutes and add 7 cups of the vegetable broth; heat to boil.
- 3Melt butter in a small saucepan; add flour and cornstarch, cook, stirring constantly, 4 to 5 minutes.
- 4Slowly whisk in remaining 1 cup broth until mixture is smooth; add mixture to soup base; cover and simmer over medium-low heat 20 minutes.
- 5Taste and adjust seasonings.
- 6Strain through a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth; discard solids and return broth to pot.
- 7To make snapper, heat water to boil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat; add onions and celery; blanch until soft, about 3 minutes.
- 8Remove with a slotted spoon and add to broth.
- 9Boil fish in the same water until cooked through.
- 10Remove fish from water; flake very finely with a fork.
- 11Stir snapper and sherry, if desired, into soup base; heat through.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bookbinder Red Snapper Soup
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 139.2
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 21.4 mg
- Sodium 92.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: