Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A very hearty meat sauce.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 8 ounces chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree or 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, pureed in blender
- 1 cup wine (red or white, whichever you prefer)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Place meat, carrots, celery, onion, and garlic in pan over medium heat, and cook until meat is no longer raw, but don't brown it.
- Drain off fat, and add milk.
- Boil until liquid is gone, about ten minutes.
- Add wine, boil until liquid is gone, about ten minutes more.
- Add broth and tomatoes, turn heat to low, cover, and simmer about three hours, stirring occasionally until meat has broken down and sauce appears very thick.
- Add 2 TBS milk, and serve.
- It's going to look like there's not enough sauce there; there is--it's very rich.
- Best over rotini!
This was excellent! I was craving this sauce for days and it was exactly like I remember. I skimped on the time I took to simmer it and it was still excellent.
This is wonderful! hile I agree that fresh tomatoes would be better, in winter in Chicago, great fresh tomatoes are difficult to find. After looking and trying several other recipes, I stumbled on this one and it was exactly what I wanted. My famile loves it and called it "a keeper", their highest form of praise. Thanks.
This is the best red sauce I have ever had. I doubled the recipe and I used skim milk and white wine. I think next time I would use whole milk as the skim took forever to evaporate. The wine also took more than 10 minutes to evaporate. I think it took about 20-30 minutes for each to evaporate.I had lots of compliments on the sauce and I would definitely make it again. Thanks for the recipe.