Bolognese Meat Sauce
photo by Carla C.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons bacon
- 1 carrot, finely sliced
- 1 stalk celery, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- salt and pepper
- 2⁄3 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can plum tomatoes, chopped, with their juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- pasta, cooked and drained (6 servings)
- Heat the butter and oil in a heavy saucepan.
- Add the onion, and cook over moderate heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the bacon and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the carrot, celery and garlic.
- Cook 3-4 minutes more.
- Add the beef and crumble it into the vegetables with a fork.
- Stir until the meat loses its red color.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in the wine, raise the heat slightly, and cook until the liquid evaporates, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the milk and cook until it evaporates.
- Stir in the tomatoes with their juice, and the herbs.
- Bring the sauce to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, and simmer, uncovered for 1 1/2-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over pasta.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!