Recipe by A Messy Cook
I haven’t tried these yet but they look great. There are no refined sweeteners, only orange juice, and I’m sure they would be good with whole wheat flour too.
Top Review by AprilShowers
I was somewhat disappointed with this recipe. I guess I should have realized that with no sugar....they wouldn't be sweet! I guess I thought the orange juice would do the trick, but these had really no sweetness to them at all. I personally thought they were okay and my 2-year old ate one, but my husband and my four year old were not impressed. Oh well! They were worth a try but next time I think I'll make "regular" blueberry muffins.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 grated orange, zest of
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine dry ingredients; toss the blueberries with about 2 tablespoons dry mixture and set aside.
- In separate bowl, blend eggs, oil, orange juice, and orange zest.
- Make well in dry ingredients and add egg mixture; stir gently, and when only partially combined, add blueberries.
- Fold ingredients together just until moistened (do not overmix).
- Divide batter into 12 well-greased muffin tins and bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly golden; cool briefly on wire rack, remove from pan, and serve warm with butter.