The Sweetest Blueberry Muffins
photo by Jonathan Melendez
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, at room temp
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries or 2 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
- lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, mixed with
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Heat oven to 375°.
- Grease 18 regular-size muffin cups (or 12 large size muffins).
- In bowl, mix butter until creamy. Add sugar and beat until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each.
- Beat in vanilla, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt.
- With spoon, fold in half of flour then half of milk into batter; repeat.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Spoon into muffin cups and sprinkle topping onto each muffin.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown and springy to touch.
Questions & Replies
see 12 more questions
Oh my....heaven! These mildly sweet and moist muffins are better than the ones that are sold at the local coffee store! You should have heard us ooohhing and aahhhing while we ate these this morning for breakfast. I baked the muffins for 25 minutes and the only thing that I did differently is that I topped the muffins with a generous sprinkle of sugar in the raw. This is the best recipe that I've tried so far from Recipezaar!
I made a half recipe because I didn't have the full amount of blueberries that was called for. I also used another chef's recommendation for a struesel topping - * 1/4 cup all-purpose flour * 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon * 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar * 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, slightly softened. The muffins were very good.
I have made this recipe so many times I can't even count. I always halve the recipe and the muffins turn out perfect! I agree with the others who say they taste more like a blueberry cupcake instead of a muffin, but, hey, I'm not complaining. :) I have also used chocolate chips instead of blueberries and those are great as well, in fact my sons like the chocolate chip muffins better.
see 570 more reviews
Telling me to put nutmeg on these beautiful little bluebabies is like asking Audrey Hepburn to wear a potato sack. I SAY NO. Put this little crumble on instead and they turn into little blueberry coffee cakes. I'm so fat. (To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.)
Don't waste time dusting your berries in flour. That's an Old Wives Tale and it is not fool proof. I have tested this theory and I have a better one. Put a little bit of plain batter (batter without the berries) in the bottom of each muffin cup then fold your berries into the batter and finish filling them. Problem solved!!
see 63 more tweaks