Recipe by Ocean~Ivy
I found this in a back issue of a magazine. It sounds incredible and I had to type it up!
Top Review by Chef Schellies
This was fabulous! I was excited to have found reasonably priced blueberries at this time of year, and this was the perfect recipe to use them in. I used low fat cream cheese instead of regular and skim milk instead of half-and-half to cut some of the fat. It turned out great! It was even better the second day. I will be making this often.
- 4 cups cubed firm bread (with crusts removed)
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Spray a 2 quart shallow baking dish.
- Bake the cubed bread for 8-10 minutes on a cookie sheet.
- Beat eggs and 3/4 cup sugar in bowl, until light colored.
- Add the orange peel and vanilla, then half & half; mix well.
- Put the toasted bread cubed in the dish and cover with half of the berries.
- Combine cream cheese and 2 tablespoons sugar, mixing well.
- Drop this over the berry and bread mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining berries on top.
- Pour egg mixture over.
- Wait 5 minutes, then bake 50-55 minutes.
- Sprinkle the confectioners' sugar over before serving warm.