Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I found a cookbook that my mother in law Helen had. It is Better Homes and Gardens: So Good with Fruit and the date on the book is 1967. So I will be posting a bunch of recipes from the book so I don't lose them.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 well beaten egg
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- cinnamon, crumbs
- Cream shortening and sugar; add egg; beat until fluffy.
- Sift dry ingredients together; add alternately with milk.
- Spread in greased 11x7x1 1/2 inch pan.
- Top with blueberries.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon crumbs.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Cut in squares.
This was really good and not too sweet. It reminded me of something my Pennsylvania Dutch Grandmother would have made. I made the cinnamon crumbs out of a little softened butter, cinnamon, sugar, and rolled oats. Flour could be used instead of the oats. Just use enough so that the mixture is crumbly. Made for PAC Spring 2012.