Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is one of the most requested items on the lunch menu at the Chicago Chop House. Would advise cooking on the grill if you can, as it can be smoky cooking indoors. I sometimes make double the spice, store and use in other recipes, such as chicken, etc...You can use New York Strips, Rib-eyes or whatever steak is on sale at the time. Adapted from Bon Appetit magazine, Sept., 2000.
For spice mixture
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less if you don't like too spicy)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 6 cups packed mixed baby greens, can add fresh spinach as well
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, thinly sliced (red pepper, green pepper or 1/2 yellow peppers)
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tomatoes, quartered
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 10 -12 ounces beef steaks, each about 1/2 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese (about 3 ounces) or 6 tablespoons gorgonzola (about 3 ounces)
- For spice mixture:.
- Mix all ingredients in small bowl. (Can be made 1 week ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.)
- For salad:.
- Whisk oil, vinegar and mustard in large bowl to blend. Season with salt and pepper. Add greens, bell pepper and onion and toss to coat. Divide salad between plates.
- For steaks:.
- Brush the steaks with EVOO infused with chopped garlic all over before dipping in the spice mix. Spread spice mixture on plate. Coat both sides of steaks with spice mixture. Dip both sides of steaks into melted butter. Heat heavy large skillet over high heat until very hot. Add steaks and sliced mushrooms, cook until desired doneness, about 2 minutes per side for medium-rare. (Or grill the steaks instead and sautee the shrooms in a pan.) The shrooms may need more time, use your judgement. Transfer meat to cutting board; let stand 2 minutes. Thinly slice steaks crosswise.Arrange slices atop salads.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Garnish with tomato and avocado and serve.
This has become a family favorite for us! A restaurant in town used to serve a version of this and I have never been able to find a recipe until now. Thank you so much for this great addition to our summer salad choices.
Gave some to my friend. In his sexy Italilan accent, I believe he said, "Gorgeous dish and you're a pretty lady yourself, cupcake" . If I cooked for 40 more years and never heard one thank you other than this line, this alone would make it worth while. Too bad he's already taken, otherwise I'd propose