This recipe reminds me of when I was a little girl and mom and I would go blackberry picking. She was very allergic to poison ivy, so we stopped going after a couple of years; however, we still were (and are) treated to her awesome blackberry pie!!! It really reminds me of summer holidays, especially the 4th of July. Oh, and that's my sister reviewing this recipe--she's a snot, and also 9 years younger than me, so she doesn't REMEMBER blackberry picking with mom! *sticks out tongue* LOL
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups fresh blackberries (If you are using frozen berries, increase flour by 1/3 cup) or 2 (14 ounce) packages of frozen berries, thawed and drained. (If you are using frozen berries, increase flour by 1/3 cup)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Ingredients for crust
- 1Combine the first 4 ingredients of the filling and spoon into a 9 inch square pan.
- 2OPTIONAL: You may add a bit of vanilla or almond extract, if you wish.
- 3Nutmeg is also good.
- 4Prepare crust (recipe follows) and spoon 9 mounds over the blackberries.
- 5OPTIONAL: You may sprinkle the top with flaked almonds or chopped pecans.
- 6Brush with butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- 7Bake, uncovered in a preheated 425 degree oven for 30 minutes until browned and bubbly.
- 8FOR CRUST: Combine first 5 crust ingredients, cut in shortening with pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
- 9Stir in whipping cream and buttermilk just until it is blended.
- 10NOTE: You may add other fruit to vary your cobbler; try adding a few cherries, blueberries, raspberries or cranberries.
- 11Also good for nectarines or peaches!
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Blackberry Cobbler
Serving Size: 1 (1478 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3124.0
- Calories from Fat 992
- Total Fat 110.2 g
- Saturated Fat 46.5 g
- Cholesterol 172.9 mg
- Sodium 2580.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 510.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 45.5 g
- Sugars 281.9 g
- Protein 40.3 g