photo by Billy Green
- Ready In:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 package refrigerated pie crust
- 3 1⁄2 cups frozen unthawed blackberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons water
- Stir together the sugar, flour, butter and vanilla.
- Gently stir in blackberries.
- Spoon blackberry mixture into a lightly greased 11 x 7 baking dish.
- Cut the piecrust into strips and arrange on top of blackberry mixture.
- Mix together the egg white and water.
- Brush the pie crust strips with this egg wash.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 425 for 45 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and blackberries are bubbly.
see 24 more reviews
I used 4 cups of fresh dewberries that my 10 year old and I picked that day. (If you don't know they are wild blackberries, a little more seedy then the cultivated ones.) A squeeze of lemon. I also used 1/2 white and 1/2 dark brown sugar. You could use all light brown, but I don't keep that on hand. I like the richer flavor that the brown sugar gives. I added a bit extra because of the extra berries. We like a lot of berries. Next time I plan to cook the berries a little before I put the crust on. I made my own pie crust. Not because I am a snob, just because the nearest store that carries them is 15 miles away and I wasn't making the drive. Plus I love to make treats with the extra crust and think of my grandmother who taught me how. :) It was delicious. Thank you for the recipe. It was very close to the one that I used to make and lost the recipe for.