Montana Heart Song's Note:
Our daughter sent us a bucket of unshelled black walnuts.DH goes crazy for black walnuts and egg custard so I decided to combine because he also loves pie. You can substitute any nuts. To shell I let a tractor-trailer do the work, the filled trailer crushes the shells nicely.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Beat eggs in a bowl, set aside.
- 2In saucepan, add sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- 3Mix to blend.
- 4Then add water and molasses. Use a spatula to get all of the molasses.
- 5Cook and stir until simmering. Take off burner. Add 2 tblsp molasses mixture to beaten eggs, stir.
- 6Then add beaten egg mixture into the saucepan.
- 7Add vanilla and nutmeg. Stir and set aside.
- 8Preheat oven 350* Place dry beans in the pie shell after it is in the pie pan so it will not puff up.Bake the pie shell for about 6 minutes. Take the beans out.
- 9Pour in the custard sauce and top with the nuts. Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes until a knife is inserted near the middle of the pie comes out clean.
- 10Chill before serving.
- 11Chill mixing bowl and slowly add sugar to whipping cream and beat with mixer until peaks form.
- 12Serve pie with whipped cream.
- 13Serves 8.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Walnut Custard Pie
Serving Size: 1 (208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 628.4
- Calories from Fat 355
- Total Fat 39.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.9 g
- Cholesterol 187.2 mg
- Sodium 199.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 46.2 g
- Protein 8.9 g