Chef #680297's Note:
I got this from Bob Appetit magazine (one of my faves) and my DW loves it. Totally decadent! If you can't find black cod, you can use sea bass.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup fresh fennel bulb, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into 1/4- to 1/3-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped leek (white and pale green parts only)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
PANZANELLA AND FISH
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 4 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup minced smoked canned oysters
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 black cod fish fillets (with skin)
- coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs, toasted (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add fennel, potato, onion, and leek. Cover and cook until vegetables are just tender but not brown, about 8 minutes. Add flour, bay leaves, and thyme; stir 1 minute. Stir in clam juice, cream, and milk. Simmer until chowder thickens slightly and flavors blend, about 10 minutes. Mix in lemon peel; season to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool 30 minutes; cover and refrigerate.
- 3PANZANELLA AND FISH.
- 4Toss celery, shallot, parsley, 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice, lemon peel, and smoked oysters in medium bowl. Season celery-shallot mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5Combine 3 tablespoons butter, thyme, and 3 teaspoons lemon juice in small saucepan. Whisk over low heat until butter melts and sauce simmers; season with coarse salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large nonstick skillet over high heat. Sprinkle fish with coarse salt and pepper. Add fish, skin side down, to skillet. Cook until skin is crisp and fish is just opaque in center, drizzling lemon-butter sauce over, 6 to 7 minutes.
- 6Rewarm chowder over low heat; discard bay leaves. Divide chowder among 4 shallow bowls. Place fish, skin side down, in center of chowder. Stir panko into celery-shallot mixture; spoon over fish and serve.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Cod With Fennel Chowder and Smoked Oyster Panzanella
Serving Size: 1 (521 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 695.9
- Calories from Fat 391
- Total Fat 43.4 g
- Saturated Fat 26.2 g
- Cholesterol 231.6 mg
- Sodium 508.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 47.3 g