Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
From The Magnolia Bakery
Cream Cheese Filling
- 3⁄4 lb cream cheese, not softened (one and a half 8 oz. packages)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened dutch cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°; line two 12-cup muffin tins with 18 cupcake papers.
- Make cream cheese filling: in a bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth; add in the egg; beat well.
- Stir in the chocolate chips; set aside.
- Make the cupcakes: combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- In a big bowl, beat together the oil and sugar, on medium speed.
- Add in the dry ingredients in two parts, alternating with the buttermilk and vanilla; making sure all ingredients are well blended.
- Carefully spoon batter into cupcake liners, filling them 2/3 full.
- Drop a small scoop (about 1 ½ tablespoons) of the cream cheese filling on top of each cupcake.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until pick comes out clean.
- Cool in tins for 30 minutes; remove from tins and cool completely on a wire rack.