High in fibre and tasty too. Adapted from Eating Well.
Make and share this Black Beans and Barley recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano or 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large, nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and red pepper.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic.
- Cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add cumin.
- Remove from heat, and set aside mixture in a bowl.
- In the same pan, add broth, water, barley oregano and hot sauce.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until barley is tender, adding extra water as necessary, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in beans, salsa, lime juice and onion mixture, and heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with cilantro just before serving.
We didn't have any hot sauce, so we just skipped that, figuring we could add additional spice to taste. Well, it was a nice mildly spicy dish without it. We will be making it again! It took me 20-30 minutes to get it going, but after that did not need a lot of attention. The barley did need the extra water, though.
This was excellent! Did a few modifications to my taste/availability: white instead of red onion, omitted red pepper, added 1 cup of frozen corn. I actually made this in my Pampered Chef microwave rice cooker--it turned out great and I didn't have to stir while the barley cooked. This is an easy recipe that I will definitely make again.