Barley, Black Bean and Corn Burritos
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 10mins
- 15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 10 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup barley, uncooked (not the quick type)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 18 small flour tortillas
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 9 cups lettuce, thinly sliced
- 2 1⁄4 cups salsa
- 1 cup sour cream
- Place first 11 ingredients in slow cooker, stir well.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in cilantro.
- Heat tortillas according to package directions.
- Spoon 1/3 cup barley mixture down center of each tortilla, sprinkle with 1 tbsp of cheese.
- Roll up.
- Place one cup of lettuce on each of 9 plates; top each with 2 burritos.
- Spoon 1/4 cup salsa and 2 tbsp sour cream over each serving.
Join The Conversation
I decided I wanted to make this at about 6:00 at night, so I adapted it to the stove top instead of the slow cooker. I had to keep a close eye on it to avoid burning toward the end, when there wasn't a lot of liquid, but in general it was very easy. The flavor was great, and easy to adjust to my preferences.
Absolutely loved this. I used vegetable broth to make this a vegetarian meal. It was so easy and had so much flavor. I'm not sure what type of barley I used (maybe pearled?), but mine was done in only 3 hours. For the last hour, I cooked on low with the lid halfway off to evaporate the excess liquid. Served on corn tortillas, which was great, but I can't wait to have it on a salad for tomorrow's lunch.