1/2 Photos of Black Bean Tortilla Soup
I found this in the January 2009 Good Housekeeping. I cooked chicken thighs to make homemade broth so I'd have more chicken broth for other recipes instead of using reduced-sodium chicken broth, and I didn't have poblano chilies so I used jalapenos. I had black beans already cooked in the freezer so I didn't use canned. The cilantro and lime juice make the recipe very flavorful...the soup would be bland without them. There are other recipes for Black Bean Tortilla Soup posted, but this one is another variation. Hearty and filling...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs (boneless, skinless, and cut into 1/2 inch wide strips)
- 1 large onion, chopped (12 ounces)
- 2 medium poblano chiles (3 ounces each, seeded and chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed with press
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 32 ounces reduced-sodium chicken broth (4 cups)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 15 -19 ounces black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 cups coarsely broken tortilla chips
- 1In a 6-quart saucepan, heat oil on medium-high until hot.
- 2Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 3Add chicken to saucepot in 2 batches, and cook 5 minutes per batch or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- 4With slotted spoon, remove chicken to medium bowl once it is browned.
- 5After all chicken is browned, add onion, poblanos, and garlic to saucepot.
- 6Cook on medium 10 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned and tender, stirring occasionally.
- 7Stir in cumin and coriander and cook 1 minute.
- 8Add broth and water. Cover and heat to boiling.
- 9Return chicken and any juices in bowl to saucepot.
- 10Stir in frozen chicken and black beans.
- 11Heat to boiling on medium-high and reduce heat to medium-low.
- 12Simmer uncovered 10 minutes to blend flavors.
- 13Stir in lime juice and cilantro.
- 14Ladle soup into bowls.
- 15Serve with tortilla chips for sprinkling on top of soup.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black Bean Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (385 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 320.2
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 71.6 mg
- Sodium 103.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 22.9 g