Recipe by Megohm
I created this in late August when my vegetable garden was in it's prime, with fresh tomato sauce and zucchini and corn... I'm not really too big on ground beef, so I made this chili with chicken, and it is hands down my favourite chili. My whole family, including the picky ones, loved it. I left out any hot ingredients like cayenne or hot sauce, because that is entirely up to you folks. Tastes great with a nice piece of cornbread alongside too!
Top Review by jennifer in new jersey
excellent chili recipe. due to time restraints i ended up having to just throw everything into the pot after cutting it up and let it simmer for about 3 hours; turned out just fine. i especially liked the boneless chicken for a change from the ground turkey/chicken/beef. i also did not rinse the black beans as i think using the water/liquid they come in the can with gives what your making a creamier texture; which it did. very nice taste and anything i can throw into a pot and have it coming out so good is a keeper. thanks for sharing.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 pinches chili powder
- 2 pinches cumin
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch thyme
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, well rinsed
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh corn niblets
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 pinches thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Season chicken breasts with chili powder, cumin, pepper and thyme.
- Grill 5 minutes on each side, or till cooked thoroughly (you could probably pan fry them as well, but the grilled flavour is great in this chili).
- Shred chicken into small pieces and reserve.
- On stovetop, in a large pot, saute onions, zucchini, corn and garlic in a bit of oil on med-low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add black beans and spices(salt, pepper and sugar included), and saute another two minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and let simmer, covered, for about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and let simer, covered for another 5 minutes.