Green Chili With White Beans (Aka, White Bean Chicken Chili)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This recipe is a combination of several White Bean Chicken Chili recipes with my own personal adaptations. The chili ends up looking like Green Chili with White Beans.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 1 anaheim chili, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chili peppers
- 1 (32 ounce) box low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, poached and diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can navy beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin seed, toasted
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Sauté onion, garlic and peppers with olive oil.
- Poach boneless skinless chicken breast in chicken broth. Remove from broth, let cool and dice.
- Add chicken, chicken broth, beans, corn, onion, garlic & pepper mixture and seasonings to crock pot.
- Cook in crock pot on high for at least 2 hours.
- Serve garnished with a spoon of cumin cream (made by combining 1 teaspoon ground cumin with 1 cup low-fat or fat-free plain yogurt), a spoon of tomatilla salsa (best made from fresh tomatilla's, with jalapeno, red onion, cilantro and lime juice - but in a pinch I like to have a small can of Herdez Salsa Verde on hand), and a sprinkle of fresh chopped cilantro.
- For those who dare add any more Fat & Cholesterol, add a sprinkle of shredded cheese such as Monterey Jack or Cheddar - a little crumbled Queso Blanco, or Queso Fresco would be nice too.
- Pairs well with cornbread.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Made for PAC 2010. Loved it. I love lots of different chilies and I'm a bit chili fan as well. I followed the recipe, but just a few notes. When I poached the chicken, I add a small onion (discarded after), a bay leaf, and some peppercorns for just a little more flavor. I also used 2 chicken breasts because mine were relatively small. You didn't mention to rinse or drain the beans, I drained, but didn't rinse. I didn't have tomatillo and thought it looked pretty without it but I did use the sour cream, some queso fresco and cilantro. Excellent, definitely enjoyed and will definitely make it again, Thx KimReply