1/4 Photos of Black and Blue Burgers
Sue Lau's Note:
Very flavorful burgers full of spice and the wonderful flavor of cheese. Great over the charcoal grill, although these can be made indoors at a pinch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 lb ground beef round
- 6 fresh kaiser rolls, split
- 3 -6 leaves romaine lettuce, torn
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1/3 lb premium blue cheese (not crumbled)
For the Blackened Spice Mix
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
For the Dressing (optional)
- 1You will need 1/2 pound blue cheese total (get the block type cheese, not the crumbled stuff in packages).
- 2Prepare your dressing by crumbling 3 ounces of cheese and mixing it thoroughly with the other dressing ingredients and setting aside to chill (do not do this more than a few hours before).
- 3Mix together your spice mix in a large shallow bowl or plate and set aside until needed.
- 4Mix together chuck and round, then separate mixture into 1/3 pound pieces (just over 5 ounces)- you should have 6.
- 5Divide each piece in half and form into a thin patty and place onto wax paper on whatever platter you are working with.
- 6Take the 1/3 pound of blue cheese and cut into 6 divided sections (approximate) and place thin slices onto 6 of the patties you have formed.
- 7Cover these patties with the remaining 6 patties and form a pinched seal around the edges, making it tight.
- 8Pick up each patty, and gently reform the burger and pat it back out to thinness, if needed; rest them on waxed paper.
- 9Take patties one by one and coat in the seasoning mixture, not forgetting to coat the side edges and patting them nicely flat when finished; rest on waxed paper.
- 10Cook over heated coals or on gas grill until it is cooked through or temperature reads 160F (do not press on patties while grilling).
- 11Allow patties to rest 10-15 minutes after cooking for cheese to settle.
- 12Serve on split kaiser rolls (may toast them if you like) with appropriate condiments: lettuce, tomato, sliced red onion, and a little blue cheese dressing (instead of mayo; optional).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Black and Blue Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (1527 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 464.4
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 71.0 mg
- Sodium 1874.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 25.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ground beef round