1/1 Photo of Biftek Hache a La Lyonnaise
This is a Julia Child's recipe from Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Vol.1 pp. 301-302. I used to make these for company even, they were that good. Have been making them for years. Good, good flavor - don't let the long list frighten you away. The vermouth is the best!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup finely minced yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons softened butter or 2 tablespoons suet or 2 tablespoons marrow or 2 tablespoons fresh pork fat
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup flour, spread on a plate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup beef stock or 1/2 cup dry white wine or 1/2 cup wine or 1/2 cup dry vermouth or 1/2 cup red wine or 1/4 cup water
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 1Cook the onions slowly in 2 Tablespoons of butter (about 10 mins) until tender not browned.
- 2Place onions in mixing bowl. Add the beef, butter (or suet, marrow or pork fat) the seasonings and the egg; mix well.
- 3Form into patties 3/4" thick.
- 4Cover & refrigerate till ready to use.
- 5Just before sautéing, roll the patties lightly in flour.
- 6Shake off any excess flour.
- 7Place butter and oil in heavy skillet over med-high heat.
- 8When butter foam begins to subside, saute the patties for about 3 minutes per side (or more depending upon how you like your burger).
- 9Place burgers on serving platter and keep warm while finishing the sauce.
- 10Pour fat out of the skillet and discard.
- 11Add stock (or wine, vermouth or water) and boil down rapidly.
- 12Scraping up the coagulated pan juice till reduced to almost a syrup.
- 13Off heat, swirl 2-3 Tablespoons of butter into the sauce - 1/2 Tablespoon at a time until absorbed into the sauce.
- 14Pour the sauce over the hamburgers and serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Biftek Hache a La Lyonnaise
Serving Size: 1 (192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 354.2
- Calories from Fat 201
- Total Fat 22.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 141.1 mg
- Sodium 829.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 26.9 g