The name says it all! It has a delicious sugar crackle topping that forms by pouring the boiling water over the top before baking. This is my favorite cobbler recipe. Easy, impressive, and versatile. Can use any combination of berries, frozen or fresh.
- Spread berries in a greased 8 inch square pan.
- Cream shortening and 3/4 cup sugar well.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Add alternately with milk to creamed mixture. Batter will be thick.
- Spread batter over berries.
- Combine remaining sugar and cornstarch together then sprinkle evenly over batter. *NOTE* This is a juicy cobbler but if you want the berries and sauce to be thicker add an extra 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of cornstarch to the remaining sugar.
- Pour boiling water over all. Do not mix.
- Bake at 350* for 30-45 minutes, until golden brown and toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean. Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or ice cream if desired. (Doubled recipe fits into a 9x13 pan, but must bake 20-30 mins longer than normal).