1/6 Photos of Best Ever Spicy Oven-Fried Chicken - Southern
3 hrs 30 mins
Mrs Goodall's Note:
I love this chicken recipe--after messing around with oil fried chicken, I found this recipe and it's exactly what I was looking for, darn close to "real" fried chicken without the hassle of oil frying. There is marinating time, but otherwise super easy. Don't be intimidated by th amount of hot pepper sauce in the marinade, the chicken will pick up only some of the heat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 12 chicken pieces, with skin and bones (breasts, thighs and drumsticks)
- 1Whisk buttermilk, oil, hot pepper sauce, mustard, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in large bowl to blend well. Add onion, then chicken and turn to coat.
- 2Cover, chill at least 3 hours or up to 1 day, turning chicken occasionally. I usually get a big gallon ziploc bag and place the marinade and chicken in the bag.
- 3Place racks on 2 large rimmed baking sheets.
- 4Whisk breadcrumbs, cheese, flour, thyme, paprika, cayenne and 1 teaspoon salt in large baking dish to blend.
- 5Remove chicken from marinade, allowing, excess to drip off. Add chicken to breadcrumb mixture and turn to coat completely.
- 6Arrange chicken, skin side up, on racks on baking sheets.
- 7Let stand 30 minutes.
- 8Preheat oven to 425°F Drizzle butter over chicken.
- 9Place chicken in oven and bake until crisp, golden and cooked through about 50 minutes.
- 10Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Best Ever Spicy Oven-Fried Chicken - Southern
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.2
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 22.1 mg
- Sodium 1341.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 7.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: