These are wonderful for just throwing in your favorite ingredients---I don't need any other muffin recipes. Editing to add, based on a recent review: Be sure not to overmix muffins; if you do, they will be tough. They should still be lumpy when you are finished mixing them.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center.
- In a small bowl or 2-cup measuring cup, beat egg with a fork.
- Stir in milk and oil.
- Pour all at once into the well in the flour mixture.
- Mix quickly and lightly with a fork until moistened, but do not beat.
- The batter will be lumpy. DO NOT OVERMIX. This will create tough/heavy muffins.
- Pour the batter into paper lined muffin pan cups.
- Variations: Blueberry Muffins: Add 1 cup fresh blueberries.
- Raisin Muffins: Add 1 cup finely chopped raisins.
- Date Muffins: Add 1 cup finely chopped dates.
- Cheese Muffins: Fold in 1 cup grated sharp yellow cheese.
- Bacon Muffins: Fold 1/4 cup crisp cooked bacon, broken into bits.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden.