Recipe by Donna M.
This beautiful cake looks just like a gourmet pastry chef made it! It tastes yummy too, of course.
Top Review by Phunny Pharmer
Beautiful cake.. beautifully presented. Makes a wonderful gift or take along to dinners, breakfasts, etc. because it looks and tastes so good. I made only a couple of minor tweaks: added 1 tsp vanilla to the cream cheese mixture and added 1 tsp cinnamon to the crumbs reserved for the top of the cake. Very lightly sprinkled the cooled cake with confectioners sugar for a nice finishing touch.
FYI We have an abundance of wild blackberries at the farm. I cooked them down with sugar until they were thickened and used them in place of the preserves--fantastic! I bet one could do this with nearly any fruit. I think I may try peaches next as they are in season now. Also, I have baked it in both 9 and 10 inch springform pan. It works best in the 10 inch pan and bakes at the time specified. It took much longer in the 9 inch pan and even overcooked the cake a little to get the filling to set. Still, it was delicious and every last crumb disappeared. Thanks for this recipe. It's a keeper!
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4-1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup raspberry preserves or 1⁄2 cup strawberry preserves
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour bottom and sides of 9 or 10 inch springform pan.
- Combine flour and 3/4 cup sugar.
- Add the butter to the sugar-flour mixture and cut with pastry blender or fork until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Reserve 1 cup of crumb mixture.
- To remaining mixture, add baking powder, soda, salt, sour cream, one egg and almond extract; blend well.
- Spread batter over bottom and up sides of pan 2 inches (batter should be 1/4 inch thick on sides).
- Combine cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 egg; blend well.
- Pour over batter in pan.
- Carefully spread preserves over all.
- Combine reserved crumbs and sliced almonds.
- Sprinkle over top.
- Bake 55 minutes or until filling is set.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- Remove sides of pan.
- Serve warm or cool.
- Refrigerate leftovers.